Pages

Sunday 14 July 2013

disappointed with my answer!

The growth in photography has been amazing for the past five years especially in Asian countries where people are more interested in owning DSLR than the digital cameras. And the past two years, the digital camera is upgrading themselves including their look, size and machines; Regardless no matter how cheap they are nowadays and how handy they are, the majority point of interests toward that is lesser, lesser and lesser by months! Gradually, you'll be seeing SLR army ruling in today's photography world. Whether it's the youngsters or older, they have one and it's seem the heavy weight not an issue. Everyone is calling themselves as photographer, buying so many lenses (unused mostly) and often upgrading the gear with today's trend that even the professionals aren't doing so. It becomes a trend and fame that owning that heavy big camera make their pride is above cloud 9!

I, as a children's photographer, not even as updated as these enthusiasts that even I don't know much about the recent's products from Canon/Nikon/Sony unless the marketing they do is really engaging! Of course, I've lots of people (whether met online/ in my surrounding/ even my clients) asked "which camera should I buy?", "which lenses I should have for this, for that... kind of photography". My questions for them are very simple "why do you need SLR" and "what kind of photography do you love the most (or would like to focus nowadays). And often, you would be just like "doh" with their answers and the word "big camera produces awesome results" would be heard many of times. I'm sure a lot of DSLR's users are quite naive and although some of them may take some formal education but it doesn't guarantee they would really be applying those theories nor they ever remember what its being thought. 

I've seen most of those who asked me questions got disappointed with my answers or become very defensive; acting and talking like a professional. Sometimes, they would just gave such you know "seriously you're a photographer and recommending me that?"Most of them, I give my recommendation to either use "mirror less cameras or buy Digital camera!" Guess, because digital camera is so not in anymore, it hurts them! But really, why would let's say someone who are in their 40's (or even 60's) want to bring DSLR for show off unless they are really into photography for decade.  

I really recommend them to buy Sony Nex-7 and the similar kinds like them but these people just think I'm dumb enough or I made them dumb. See, if it's for traveling with great results, light and have a great end result like DSLR entry level, then why not buying those? Although entry level cameras may be cheaper (slightly or not) yet the cost of the lenses are really expensive. I'm really a happy user of Carrying my Sony everywhere for traveling and I brought my fixed lenses for really a great deal. But I'm sure they won't listen to my advice and the next time I see them, they are asking me another question "which lens(es) I should buy?". Once again, my answer is a bit annoying for them "master your kit's lens! it does wonder!" They would asking how to make bokeh and all. If all you want to do is create "blur background" then My Sony lens of 50 f.1.8 with a price around $300 is really awesome! While for SLR camera, you have to spend more than $400! $100 saver is something, isn't it!

Nowadays in Indonesia, India and in most of asian countries, owning a SLR become necessity even for those whose income is somehow squeezed. Sometimes, I really wonder, why does owning SLR give so much pride and confidently said that 'using big camera will give better results", yet when you see their original files, it's blurry and shaky! The different is that, they don't realize when they see in the viewfinders until they see in 100% using their laptop/PC! Then after few months of producing those kinds of photo errors, they say "this camera isn't good! buy the latest ones or they would ended up buying digital camera again".

I'm just giving simple answer based on what they needed the most but guess the pride of owning what matters the most. One of my friend also was eager in buying SLR and knowing she's my best friend, so I kept telling her to just buy Sony. Glad she followed my advice and she is really happy for choosing Sony! At least I'm being honest with those people but well, they'll understand me someday or NOT =p!

No comments:

Post a Comment